- Add a few drops of lavender to the rinse cycle when you are washing your sheets for a soothing aroma.
- Reuse dryer sheets by adding a couple of drops of grapefruit and then place them in your drawers and cabinets for a fresh scent.
- Instead of using dryer sheets use wool dryer balls with a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil for a natural way to soften, dewrinkle and help your clothes dry faster.
Here are some great recipes to get you started with using essential oils in your laundry routine!
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 3 drops Melaleuca
Place clothes in washer and add let enough water run to cover them. Combine all of the ingredients and add to the washer. Let the clothes soak for an hour or more (depending on the severity of the stain), then wash as usual.
Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 2 1/4 cups Liquid Castile Soap
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Glycerin
- 3/4 cup Water
- 20-30 drops of your favorite essential oil (I use lavender or OnGuard)
Combine all ingredients into a plastic container or squirt bottle. Shake the detergent each time before adding to wash. Add 1/4 cup per average load or 1/2 cup for extra large or heavily soiled loads.
DIY Fabric Softener
- 1 64-ounce bag of Epsom salt
- 40 drops Lavender essential oil
- 30 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- 20 drops Lemon essential oil
Pour Epsom salt into a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Add essential oils and stir well to combine. Store in a glass jar. Use ½ cup for medium to large loads in the wash cycle at any temperature and ¼ cup for small loads.
DIY Bleach for Cleaning (Makes 1 Quart)
- 2 cups hydrogen peroxide (3 percent solution)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice OR ½ teaspoon citric acid
- 2 cups water
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
Store in dark or covered bottles, as exposure to light will weaken the solution. Lasts up to 1 month in a clear bottle, 2–3 months in a dark bottle.