For the most part, essential oils are safe. However, I encourage you to do your own research and keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Never place essential oils in your eyes, nose, or inner ear.
- Never ingest oils unless they are labeled as appropriate for internal use.
- Become familiar with what oils should never be ingested, regardless of the company that manufactures them (such as wintergreen).
- Exercise caution when applying the oils to infants or children and always dilute.
- Remember that these oils are very potent and less is often more.
- If redness or irritation occurs when using essential oils topically, apply a vegetable oil – such as fractionated coconut oil or olive oil – to the affected area.